- с. Старицы Львовской обл.: церковь Рождества Богородица ( - )
- village of Starychi, Lviv region: church of the Birth of the Virgin
- Lviv: Museum of Ukrainian art
- Christ Pantocrator
- The icon presents the rarest type of the image of Christ Pantocrator.
- His full-length figure is draped in the heavy folds of a himation from which His right hand, in a gesture of blessing, is shown slightly emerging, while in His left hand He holds a closed Gospel.
- Despite the fact that Ukrainian icon-painting was at that time developing without religious censorship,
the complicated political circumstances of the Ukraine demanded strict adherence to the canons of Old Rus' art which, in their turn, were borrowed from Byzantium.
- The polysemy of medieval art provided the opportunity of treating in this composition the image of Christ also as Pantocrator, the Judge who opens the Gospel on Doomsday.
- This icon bears the echo of monumental art, felt in the treatment of the solemn figure of Christ and the drapery of the wide himation and observed in the artist's deliberate emphasis, by means of size, on Christ's head and His right hand.
- Such conventionality was characteristic for Old Rus' art. It permitted the medieval painter to emphasize one or another detail and sometimes an attribute, and to thus accentuate their significance.
- Богородица и Иоанн Креститель
- Virgin and St John the Baptist
- This is evidenced also by small half-figures of the Virgin and St. John the Baptist, seen in the upper corners of the icon. Being next to the Pantocrator, they impart to the icon the sense of Deesis (entreaty).
- Egg tempera on lime wood.
- предмет с изображением: