Скеврский мощевик {2378}
Skevr reliquary
It is a wonderful monument of apllied art of Armenia.
For more than 500 years from the moment it was made in 1293 till 1828 when it was found in Italy the reliquary was kept in obscurity.
The first mentioning of it in modern history dates back to 1828 when information about this monument was published by Baron Papaziants, an interpretor of the diplomatic representation of Sardinia in Constantinopol.
At that time the reliquary was kept in the Dominican monastery of Bosco-Marengo not far from Alexandria in Piedmont.
Later it appeared in the collection of Basilevsky and in 1885 together with the whole collection was acquired for the Emperor's Hermitage.
Пиедмонт: монастырь
Piedmont, not far from Alexandria: Dominican monastery of Bosco-Marengo

собрание Базилевского ( - 1885)

collection of Basilevsky

СПб: ГЭ (1885 )

St.-Petersburg: Hermitage
Благовещение, на створках, посредине


Crusifixion, in the central part of the reliquary


Portable triptych.
The reluquary consists of three parts - a nut-wood container for keeping relics and two folds to cover the container.
The space around the cross is filled with a tar mass in which the relics of saints mentioned in the inscriptions are symmetrically arranged.
The poem at the back of the central part tells that the reliquary was executed in Skevr in 1293 by the commission of the Father Superior of the Skevr cloister Constandin.
In 1900 the reliquary was restored.
предмет с изображением:
посвящённый предмет:
сайт The State Hermitage Museum Exhibitions
Virgin museum
Peter museum
Valenik Рейтинг@Mail.ru